I wasn’t a big Cheese eater but since going vegan-I crave for it immensely. I miss Spinach Feta Pizza. Feta was my favorite cheese-Salads with Feta, Chive flavored Feta…Yum..I had such a bad craving the other day- I managed to make Almond Feta from scratch and it tasted so much like Feta (it’s been over 2.5 years since I’ve had feta-from what I can remember :P)
You need Patience, Patience and Patience to make this cheese. It is way way easier than other recipes that float around the internet. Guess what this recipe is also sans oil 🙂
- Raw Almonds-1 cup
- Nutritional Yeast-1/4 cup
- Garlic-1 clove
- Lemon juice-this is what gives you the kick-be generous
- Salt-to taste
- Soak Almonds in 2 cups very hot water for 2 hours
- Time to peel the skin (discard them) and add the almonds into a food processor
- Add the other ingredients to the food processor and process until smooth(if you need extra water-add 1 Tbsp at a time)
- Transfer to a colander lined with a cheesecloth and squeeze down starting from the open end.
- Now, wrap an elastic band on the open end (tight) and keep a container underneath to collect the extra water.
- Leave it overnight.
- Next day you will find a big mass of almond cheese inside the cheese cloth.
- Preheat the oven to 160 deg.
- Line a tray with baking paper and flip the cheese onto the tray.
- Make some deep pits using toothpicks to ease cooking.
- Bake the cheese until the cracks start to appear on the top of the cheese.
- Remove from oven and there you are-with an awesome almond feta.
- Crumble and use it as you do with Feta
- Store in an airtight container (in a refrigerator). tasted amazing even after a week